Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Meg is back in New York. We all heaved a sigh of relief that New York escaped the hurricane relatively unscathed. Today Meg returned to the city she has taken to calling “home.” Soon I will be joining her.

The entire situation has a certain surreal quality. I am sitting in an apartment topsy-turvy with books and other junk spread out all over, just trying to figure out what to do with everything I own. The thought of actually packing my car, driving across the country, then finding a place to live seems like more of a tv show pilot than my life. A month seems like a long time, until I tally up everything I have to do, then it seems like a blink of an eye.

New York itself is intimidating. I have been there many times, but the only time I stayed there for an extended period I found life difficult. Adjusting to all those people, everywhere, all the time is a major switch. While I grew up in Chicago, a big city but not New York, I have lived in Denver for 33 years. This change may be uncomfortable for a while.

Still, I am excited. New York is so much fun. It is vibrant, and exciting, and full of everything. During the summer they play baseball every day in New York. Broadway has 33 shows. The library is awesome. Most of all, Meg is there. I will be able to see her perform. No more six months between visits.

I don’t know how this will work out. But I can go anywhere. If not New York, maybe Chicago where I still have family, or Boston where I went to college. There is only one way to find out.

Underlying everything is the knowledge I can always come back to Denver. I plan to maintain ties to all my friends here through the miracle of modern technology. (I actually have some Facebook friends.) Should life elsewhere not be what I expect or want, Denver will be here. Who knows, maybe the DA’s office will let me work there for a fourth time. (But please no more plaques.)


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]