Friday, September 30, 2011

Here I am in Oak Brook, Illinois, a very nice suburb of Chicago. I am staying with my brother Mark and his wife, Sue. Mark is my older brother. I also have a younger sister, Mindy. I am not sure most of you knew I had a brother and sister. Yes, all of us are M.M. and yes, this is why Meg is also M.M. My brother did not follow the tradition, naming both of his sons with “K” names. My sister, of course, is no longer a Madorin.

I made it to Chicago no problem. Lots of driving, but nothing interesting. Nothing even to take pictures of. No huge balls of twine. No massive Holsteins. Just lots of pavement, construction, and big trucks. I saw a license plate, EVL QEN. I think I dated her at one time. I passed right through Nebraska. Didn’t stop except for gas until I got to Iowa. I saw lots of red. Whizzed right by Lincoln. By the way, Nebraska plays Wisconsin tomorrow night. I have no love for Nebraska, and my brother is a Wisconsin alum. We will be cheering for the Badgers. Of course we will also be keeping an eye on the baseball games.

Yesterday as I drove through Iowa and Illinois, I passed the birthplaces of Bob Feller, John Wayne, Herbert Hoover, and Ronald Reagan. I should have stopped, but I failed in my mission to experience all the little peculiarities of the Midwest. I was a little too concerned about the weather to stop. I also decided not to go to the baseball diamond in a cornfield where they filed Field of Dreams. So I guess there will be something to see when I drive back to go back to work for the D.A.’s Office again. (Kidding!)

I am not sure how long I am going to stay in Chicago. There is a lot to see. Although I was born and raised here, I left a long time ago and have not made a lot of trips back. I am looking forward to seeing all the changes down by the lakefront. One of the nice things about not being on a schedule is the ability to take as much time as I like some place.

I know I need to write some more interesting blogs, and I will. Right now, though I am reveling in just enjoying my leisurely trek across America.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]