Monday, September 05, 2011

Ali

I went to the Rockies game today. No surprise about that. But I did have a pleasant surprise when I arrived. My friend Ali was at the game with her sister Sarah. I coaxed Ali and Sarah into sitting sit next to me, and there is a distinct possibility that by doing so I ruined the game for them. If that happened, I apologize. But it was nice to have company for a change. Not that I mind going alone, many times I really enjoy that, but having company made today’s game very pleasant.
Ali is one of the young lawyers at the DA’s office. She certainly was one of my favorites, not just because she is pretty and nice, but because she is serious about her job. Since her first day on the job Ali has always sought to be the best prosecutor she can be. Ali is not afraid to ask questions or seek help. She works hard on her cases, and understands the importance of preparation. There is no question that in every case she handles, Ali really wants to do the right thing. I can give no higher compliment to a prosecutor. None of us are always right, and mistakes are endemic to the job. I used to say that if I screened 1,000 cases a year in intake (which was about average) and I was 95 percent right, then I screwed up 50 cases a year. That was about two for each district court deputy. No wonder they all thought I was an idiot. So, we will all make mistakes, but if a prosecutor strives to do the right thing, instead of the easy thing or the most convenient, or even what makes the most people happy, then the job is being done right.
Poor Ali spent two years in county court before her recent promotion to the juvenile unit. County court has always been busy, somewhat disorganized, and generally difficult. But in the past few years it has taken on an entirely different character. County court deputy DA’s are now under much more scrutiny, and face a group of dedicated DUI defense attorneys who file spurious motion after spurious motion. In other words, county court is hell. I liken it to fraternity hazing. It is just a ritual one has to go through to be allowed to handle felonies one day. Ali put up with it for a long time, but she was patient, stayed a team player, and worked hard. She even won an award from Mothers Against Drunk Driving. Now she has been promoted and is handling some felonies.
Ali told me she is a diligent reader of my blog. I appreciate that. She said she forwards the blog to her mother. Probably just the funny ones. I need to be funny more often.

Comments:
I feel like I've finally arrived. Miles, you are much too kind. To say that I could never have survived my time in County Court were it not for your guidance, patience (eh... no, there was some patience there), and friendship would be a terrible understatement. Not a day goes by that I don't run into an issue and say to myself: "just run down the hall and Miles will sort this out for you." It was an honor to have worked with you and I am a better prosecutor for it... it is a privilege to be your friend.
 
Yes, Miles, I, too, enjoy your blog posts and it is my great honor, joy, and pleasure to be Ali's Mom.

Speaking as a mom, I thank you for nurturing Ali and providing the valuable guidance and mentoring that are so often missing in today's work environments, whether an art museum or the DAs office.

I blog every six weeks or so on "Woodson Wanderings." Here's a link to something I posted this morning: http://woodsonartmuseum.blogspot.com/2011/09/rolling-out-red-carpet.html

I'll look forward to following your writings and musings.

With thanks, Kathy
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]