Wednesday, October 05, 2011

I am still in Chicago. I will be here until Sunday or Monday when I go to Indianapolis. Although I have been here for a week, there is still a lot to see and do. Today I went with my brother Mark while he was a guest on a local radio show to talk about baseball.

My brother has been involved with baseball for a long time. He has coached, been an official scorekeeper for a professional team, and a color man on radio broadcasts. Today he was invited into the studio of a broadcaster he knows to talk for an hour with former sportswriter about the playoffs. I was allowed to tag along. Although I did not expect to speak, I was called to the microphone to answer “what happened to the Rockies.” Geez. My real answer would have taken up their entire hour. I tried to give a somewhat succinct but still cogent answer. Then I was asked about the Ubaldo Jimenez trade. I expressed support for the move. I have no idea if I was professional-sounding or even lucid. That was the extent of my involvement. It was fun. I would love to be on the radio.

My brother does a far better job putting himself out there than I do. He has done a lot of interesting things. In addition to the baseball work, he has officiated the state championship high school swim meet, and appeared on the television broadcast of that event. (He was a champion swimmer in both high school and at the masters level.) He and his sons are developing a website called stadiumsusa.com to provide information about thousands of professional, amateur, and college athletic facilities. The website not only gives the basics about directions, dimensions, and history, but it describes the food which is available, local hotels, and other information travelers would want to know. (He gave me a stadiumsusa.com shirt). Now he is talking about a stadiumsusa television show where they would travel around the country showing the ins and outs of the facilities. I think it is a great idea. I have offered my services. Heck I can write. I hope I can write. If I can’t this entire idea is a pretty bad one. (Mark Randall, you shut up.)

Sometimes it is daunting to see what others have done. My friend Carron Barrella wrote a book and she has been actively working to get it sold. She does book signings, has a website, published it on Kindle and iTunes. I did none of that for my book. I will need to learn to do all these things for my writing. I guess it doesn’t matter if I know how because I know people who know how. Hopefully they can teach me. After all, the one thing no one can really teach you is how to write in the first place. If I can write, I can learn to sell.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]