Sunday, October 16, 2011

I finally made it to the New York area. After a long drive from Cleveland, I stopped in New Jersey, less than an hour from New York. Now I have to find a place to live and actually implement the lifestyle change I have been talking about for so long.

After making this drive across the country, I can state definitively that I am not going back. I don’t think I could survive a drive like that again. If things don’t work out in New York I will have to sell my car and fly back to Denver. Yesterday’s drive across Pennsylvania was a battle against the wind. I stayed an extra day in Cleveland, not something I had planned on. The weather on Friday was stormy across the east so I decided to wait it out. The plan worked as I had no rain yesterday.

I do wish I could have stopped to sightsee yesterday. I had no idea how pretty western Pennsylvania is. Thick forests filled with trees showing many hues of fall colors. Colorado mountains turn gold in the fall as the aspen trees change, but eastern forests have leaves of gold, red, brown, and orange. Mountains run throughout the length of Pennsylvania, and although they are small compared to the Rockies, the drive takes you through some magnificent scenery. At points the highway is high above a river valley, where the view for miles is of gorgeous forests surrounding a wide river. I wish I could have stopped, but the signs on the road prohibit it.

So I just drove and drove. Now I am on the doorstep of New York. One more night in a hotel, then on to the extended stay and the search for a new home. I have arrived in New York just as the Occupy Wall Street protests are expanding. Yesterday they took over Washington Square Park and then continued to Times Square. Without commenting on the protests themselves (which I plan to do in later blogs), I am wondering how this takeover of New York will affect day to day life. I will probably not be living or even going regularly to parts of the city the protests will affect, but what is to stop them from taking over a subway station, or even a subway train? Meg lives not far from many of these areas and she is more likely to be impacted.

Meg returns to New York today from Denver where she was working with students from her high school. I am so proud of her for taking the initiative to contact the dance department and ask for this opportunity. Teaching, of course, is an established way for dancers to earn money, and this will look good on Meg’s resume. She enjoyed herself and it appears many of the students liked working with Meg. She is a great role model for them. We were talking and we realized that we could not think of a single dancer from Denver School of the Arts who went on to work as a professional dancer in New York. Some have become professionals across America, and DSA graduates in other disciplines are doing very well, but Meg may be the only DSA grad to ever work regularly as a professional dancer in the dance capitol of America.

It was nice to plan to get together with her this week. Now this will be a common occurrence.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]