Friday, October 28, 2011

It has been a long time since I blogged. I wish I could say it is because I have been so busy, but not really. Mostly I have been looking for a place to live, finding a place, moving in, and adjusting to the new lifestyle.

I have rented an apartment in Stamford, Connecticut. Stamford is about 45 minutes away from New York City. It is a city of about 125,000 which has a fairly new downtown area, anchored by a large (seven-story) shopping mall. My apartment is in a 25-year old building directly across the street from the mall, and about a 15-minute walk from the train station (I measured it yesterday when I came back from New York in a downpour). It is a fairly-decently-sized one bedroom with a small kitchen. Amy Payton wanted a picture of the view but there is no view really. The apartment overlooks a grass courtyard and I can clearly see I-95. Beyond there a mile or so is the water but I can’t see it.

Life here is different in ways hard to describe. First of all gas is about 60 cents more per gallon. Wow, that hits you. Fortunately I should not have to drive all that much. Everything is densely compact so there are few spread out shopping malls. Most places you go in a car you have to pay to park. I did however find a McDonalds with free parking and in the next town there is a Walmart with a parking lot. The grocery store has free parking too.

There are three movie theaters within walking distance, along with a Target, Macy’s, Saks, Radio Shack, etc. Several fine restaurants are attached to the mall, and of course there is a food court. All in all everything I need is pretty close.

Stamford is a major stop on the train line and has a large station. Amtrak stops here, which is unusual. That means should I wish to take the train to Boston or Washington I need not transfer at Grand Central in New York. There is a small airport in Westchester County nearby, but I expect most flights I take will be from the New York airports.

Stamford is on the coast of the Long Island Sound and does have beaches. I went to one briefly but of course it is too cold to spend much time on a beach. I understand there are many parks and historic sites nearby so hopefully I will be able to explore them. By the way, my good friend Noel Blum grew up in Tarrytown, New York, not far from here. I stayed several days in a hotel near Tarrytown and took a drive into his hometown. It is a nice, old community with many very nice homes. Tarrytown is further to the west and is on the Hudson River.

I actually miss being on the road. I was basically on an extended vacation for a month, not working or thinking about work or money or responsibility. Perfect lifestyle for me. Now that I am settling in the reality of my new life is becoming a reality. But I have no regrets about this change and feel good about everything. No, I do not miss being a deputy D.A. Candace. Sorry. I do miss my good friends, and it is strange to not go to work. But the idea that New York is on the end of a train ride is exciting. I read the New York Times today with the idea of seeing what I could do this weekend. I am thinking of taking in an exhibit at the Whitney Museum. Maybe next week I will try to catch a show.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]