Tuesday, November 29, 2011

I found out today that one of my former colleagues in the DA’s office, Lisa Scanga, is in the hospital and apparently pretty sick. Lisa and I were not close, but we were friendly, and on many issues, like the infuriating and antiquated computer system, we were simpatico. I like Lisa and I respect her legal skills. Hearing of her condition made me sad.

Lisa is a strong personality. She takes her job extremely seriously, she has definite opinions about justice, and she is not hesitant to make her position known. Sometimes this can make Lisa difficult to work with, but I found her to be honest, ethical, committed, smart, and professional at all times. We butted heads sometimes, but more often we agreed. Lisa’s stridence can be off-putting to those who treat their job more as a way to make money than a calling, but for those of us who saw prosecution as more than a way to pay the bills, Lisa is a great ally.

Recently Lisa, along with Eva Wilson and Donna Reed, handled a 35(c) postconviction relief motion in Boulder in the child abuse resulting in death case of Molly Midyette. (There is a distinct possibility that had I not resigned I would have been part of this team, a fact which reinforces my lack of regret.) Of course, I heard nothing of the evidence, but I could tell from reading the judge’s excellent, comprehensive, and, as far as I am concerned unassailable ruling, the prosecution did an excellent job. The judge made a point of rejecting the credibility of the defendant and several witnesses. Eva said this was the result of Lisa’s effective cross-examination. I have no doubt that Lisa walked into that courtroom fully prepared, completely focused, and with a chip on her shoulder. I mean that last as a compliment.

All trial lawyers carry that chip. Even I used to when I was trying cases in the distant past. Criminal prosecution is not for the faint of heart, especially nowadays. I have written before about the mean-spiritedness of the courtroom. Without an attitude, failure is almost assured. Lisa never lacks for intestinal fortitude. I have only seen her a few times, and she is a quality advocate.

But Lisa is no courtroom savant, smooth in front of a jury and deficient in legal argument. Lisa was part of the jury instruction committee, and always contributed to the group. She has excellent analytical skills and a superior memory of case law. Many times Lisa made me feel stupid (which I both admired and hated).

So when I heard Lisa is facing some difficult health issues I was saddened. I don’t know how old Lisa is, but not very. She has a two-year old son she adores with her husband who I believe is an Aurora police officer. That she apparently was suffering the effects of her condition while doing her job without complaint is both remarkable and completely consistent with her personality.

So, get well soon Lisa. An admirer of yours is pulling for you from across the country.

Comments:
So perfectly stated (... as per usual).
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]