Thursday, November 24, 2011

Like everyone, on Thanksgiving Day I want to reflect on everything I am thankful for. The transition to living on the east coast has been a challenge, and I sincerely miss so many people but I am thankful I have been able to try something new.

I am most thankful, of course for my daughter Meg and the person she has grown up to be. I am glad to be living near her, which allows us to spend time together. Saturday night we go to Madison Square Garden to watch my alma mater, Boston University play hockey. I am also thankful for Meg’s mom, who not only was a wonderful mother, but who allowed me to be part of Meg’s life without any hesitation, and who is still a great friend.

I am thankful for my brother Mark and his wife Sue who let me crash at their home for 10 days, and who have invited me to visit them in Orlando, an invitation I plan to accept in the depths of a northeast winter.

I am thankful for my friend Susan in Florida who has kept me sane (or at least not totally insane) during this entire odyssey.

I am thankful for the app Words with Friends which allows me to keep in touch with my regular opponents, Candace, Nicole (although she is not very diligent), and Annie (who I only knew as Ann but who is much more fun as Annie).

I am thankful that modern cell phone technology allows me to make unlimited phone calls around America so I can talk regularly with so many people, primarily my best friend Noel, without whom I would be completely out of touch with is happening in Denver.

I am thankful that I still feel pretty good, especially because my health insurance has not transferred yet.

I am thankful that Sony sells great electronics for reasonable prices, including my blue-ray player through which I can connect to Netflix, YouTube, and Hulu. This never ceases to amaze me. Believe me, when you live in an area where you really don’t know anybody entertainment is important.

I am thankful for Michele and Rob, who allowed me to stay with them my last night in Denver, and who continue to provide support. I am thankful they are the kind of police officers every other officer should aspire to be. The Lakewood Police Department is fortunate to employ these fine people

I am thankful for all the wonderful people I used to work with in Jeffco. I miss you guys, especially Eva Wilson, who put up with me for four years when most people would have accepted at least one of my 100 resignations. (I try and try to call you Eva but you are never at your desk.)

I am thankful for all my friends who are on the bench. If friends are the family you pick for yourself, I feel like royalty. I am also thankful for Governor Hickenlooper who appointed Brian Boatright to the Supreme Court. If I had any regrets about leaving the practice of law it would be that I don’t practice law in a state where Brian Boatright is on the Supreme Court.

I am thankful for PERA, without which I could not have made the changes I have made. While this has been difficult I don’t regret retiring from the practice of law or leaving Colorado. The time had come.

Following up on the above, I am thankful for Pete Weir, who offered me the chance to work for CDAC in a great job (while he was there, at least) which afforded me the chance to get PERA. Along those lines I am grateful for Bob Russel, Mike Goodbee, and Mark Randall who saved my career at times when it looked like I would be unable to find any work. And to Scott Storey who took a chance which did not exactly pay off the way he expected, but who allowed me to keep working for him when it would have been easier to let me go.

I am thankful for Tom Raynes, who still takes my calls. Every prosecutor in Colorado should be thankful that Tom is CDAC director.

I am thankful for the TKTS booth which allows me to see Broadway shows for half price, which is still outrageous, but at least makeable.

I am thankful for my iPhone, iPod, and iPad. I know this makes me shallow.

I am thankful for everyone who reads my blogs, especially my one subscriber Amy. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Comments:
Ah Miles.. we miss you as well.

I too play Words With Friends... my screen name: Amy.Payton

Michelle Weaver and Natalie Judson routinely beat me, but Michelle wins by only two points most of the time... Natalie beats me by hundreds of points.

Hey, I need an editor... you up for the task? I'm still striving for publication...
 
I am thankful for YOU and your great writing, Dad.
 
Oh Miles... thank you is too small for everything I have learned from you.
 
I am always willing to edit anyone Amy. Ali I was glad to help. I am sure you have learned a great deal since I left.
 
Miles - This post is from Peggy Shanahan. She does not have a blogspot account and she cannot post anonymous...

Miles....I am thankful for YOUR blogs and find myself laughing out loud!! I am also enjoying your book.
Miss you!
Peggy
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]