Sunday, December 18, 2011

I sometimes get requests for pictures of places in my life. (Amy Payton I am talking to you.) I thought I would show you snapshots of my routine.

Friday I met Meg in SoHo for lunch and a movie. The restaurant actually had linen tablecloths, which means it was wildly overpriced but pretty good. We went to see "The Artist" which has garnered rave reviews and a bunch of Golden Globe nominations. We both thought it is wildly overrated. Basically a silent, black and white remake of "A Star is Born." Without the dog the picture would have been unwatchable, and I don't even like dogs.


This is the street to the train station in Stamford. Needless to say most of Stamford does not look like this. This street is next to a big bank. At the end is the exit to the parking lot where if I am walking across the street I am almost sure to have a near miss. People drive like jerks.


Looking back to downtown Stamford. It is clean and new.


The Metro North train car. Most of the time all the seats are taken.


The platform at Grand Central Terminal. I sit at the end of the train and sometimes it takes me five minutes just to get inside the terminal.


The is the main concourse that you always see pictures of.


You don't often see pictures of this. This is the lower level of Grand Central which is a food court. Actually there is some pretty good food here. It was packed this day. New York is really crowded this time of year.


They are having a holiday fair at Grand Central. These things are all over the city. Lots of interesting stuff exorbitantly priced.


A street in Soho. You probably think all street in New York are choked with cars all the time, but really in Soho not so much. Of course, had I taken a picture of Houston which is a main street you would have seen more of what you expect.

I didn't take a picture in the subway because I was not sure how the other riders would react.

It generally takes me a little over an hour to get to Grand Central, including my 15 walk. Then about half an hour to get where I am going in Manhattan. I know that seems like a long time. In Denver if I had to drive an hour and a half I would have thought the place was impossibly far away (or perhaps equivalent to Eva Wilson's daily commute). But here, that is just the time it takes. And riding is much less stressful than driving. Of course I do a lot of walking and it is cold now, so that makes trips to the city a lot less appealing. But I generally go twice a week.

Comments:
Yay! Miles, I am so proud of you. It's great to see the pictures and all the fun stuff! You are a wonderful photographer and I encourage you to keep it up. It's nice to see things, along with the written word. I wish books had more pictures. Actually, that's a good idea. New York through a commoner's eyes....
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]