Thursday, January 26, 2012

Anti-Semitism


When I was a child I continually heard this joke: “You know the difference between a Jew and a pizza?  A pizza doesn’t scream when you put it in the oven.”
Around 1990 I was in another deputy district attorney’s office when the chief investigator came in and told us this bit of humor:  “What did the Jewish pervert say to the little girl?  Hey, little girl, want to buy a piece of candy?”  They both laughed.  The joke was repeated again in my presence to a chief deputy who also laughed.  (None of these people are still with the office.)

It is easy, in the America of 2011, to forget that there are large segments of the population who still hate Jews, or at a minimum accept age-old stereotypes.  Before you do forget consider these recent events.
These are not wackos who blame 9/11 on the Elders of Zion, or Islamic extremists who are sword to Jihad against Jews.  Perhaps these are isolated incidents, but all of these articles are from a single month.  
I think about these comments, actions, crimes and beliefs at times.  While I no longer practice Judaism, my ethnic background is still that of a Jew.  I cannot avoid at times feeling that this undercurrent of anti-Semitism can still perhaps blossom into something more dangerous.  A nightmare scenario was imagined by Phillip Roth in his book “The Plot Against America” where a pro-Nazi Charles Lindburgh gets elected president in 1940 while World War II rages in Europe and turns America into a virulently anti-Semitic nation.  The story is fiction, but Lindburgh’s admiration for the Nazis was not.  
As someone from a Jewish background, I feel the sting of these things, even though I no longer practice my parents’ religion.  I am a Jew, both in the eyes of the world and inside my head.  Judiasm is as much ethnicity as religion.  My family were reform Jews—not keeping kosher, working on Saturday, services predominantly in English—but nevertheless my family on both sides comes from East European Jews.  Had I lived during the Holocaust, I would have gone to the camps.  Certainly I am not one who would have survived.
I cannot say I have been subject to discrimination to any significant degree.  I am sure most Jews have not.  Still, when influential people where you work are willing to tell a joke in your presence, demonstrating a bias against your ethnicity (and they did know I was Jewish), it gives you pause.  Harmless insensitivity?  Perhaps.  But what if I decided to ask for a raise?  Would I be seen as just another money-grubbing Jew? 
It is difficult for me to write this blog, because I am not sure exactly the point I am trying to make.  I guess I just wanted to make people aware that even though it is easy to forget some of the hate, it is still out there.

 

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]