Thursday, August 09, 2012

Soccer


To my surprise I am actually enthralled with soccer.  I am writing this at halftime of the gold medal match in women’s soccer, America vs. Japan.  I am sitting here yelling at the tv, holding my breath when Japan gets close and cheering loudly when America scores.

I have never liked soccer.  Even when I was a kid I never even liked playing soccer.  To me the field is too big and controlling the ball too difficult.  Scoring opportunities are rare.  At the end of the game the shots on goal for each time can usually be counted on one hand.  All in all, I think the game lack the kind of compelling action to keep my attention.

Well, usually it does.  To see teams run around for an hour and  half to score a single goal strikes me a excellent exercise for the players, but not enough drama for the spectators.  However, two days ago I tuned into the America v. Canada semifinal and was completely taken in.  Unlike most soccer games, this one was replete with drama.  Canada led 1-0 when I turned it on, and through the course of the next hour America kept forging ties and Canada continued to take leads.  At the end of regulation the score was tied 3-3.  Nearing the end of the extra period the score was still tied, and it looked like a penalty kick shootout would decide the match.  But America scored and I found myself jumping up and down.

Now, I am glued to the tv.  This blog will be short because I will end it as soon as they kick off the second half. 

I realize soccer is the most popular sport in the world.  And while it will never replace baseball in my affections (or American football or hockey), I am beginning to understand its appeal.  The rarity of goal-scoring opportunities allows for drama every time the ball gets in the vicinity of the goal.  The slow way offense unfolds allows for a gradual increase in tension, very much unlike hockey, where defense can change to offense in a second and a shot on goal will take place moments later.  Generally, soccer offense proceeds at the place of soccer players, the ball taking time to traverse the length of the huge pitch.  (I am even getting into soccer lingo.)

I doubt I will continue this soccer fascination after the end of the Olympics, any more than I will try to tune in any beach volleyball.  But for now, I am a red, white and blue fanatic.  OK, the game is back on, gotta go.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]