Sunday, September 16, 2012

Thanks


I have been back in Florida for a few days and I have been remiss in not adding a new blog.  Susan and I have been busy going to the beach, shopping, and going to movies.  Now that I have some time to write I want to thank everyone who made my time in Colorado so enjoyable.  Susan asked how it felt being back “with my peeps.”  It felt great.

First and foremost I want to thank Michele Wagner and Rob Buchan who allowed me to stay with them for almost a whole week.  They were very gracious hosts, especially considering Michele’s delicate condition.  They could not have been more accommodating.  It is humbling when a pregnant lady walks your ass off up and down hills. 

Likewise, Noel Blum was extremely hospitable.  And while I enjoyed the steak, bratwurst, and other homemade (and in many cases homegrown) food, the highlight of the weekend was the top-down trip in his Aston-Martin.  Thanks for the ride, Noel, and thanks for letting me wear your cap.

Tom Raynes was wonderful.  He not only allowed me to attend the CDAC conference, but he let me hang out in the hospitality suite. I tried to restrain myself from overindulging in the food and drink.  Being in the suite during the Broncos game was fun. 

The kindness and generosity shown to me explains why I have missed everyone in Colorado so much.  Prosecutors are the greatest people in the world, and law enforcement officers like Rob and Michele make me proud to be on their side. 

I have always enjoyed going to the conference, but this year’s was special.  After a year away, I figured the conference would feel awkward and uncomfortable.  For the past year my only connection to criminal prosecution has been the NBC Nightly News, the New York Times, and regular phone calls to Eva Wilson (who I have no doubt got sick of talking to me).  And while I didn’t expect people to be mean, I thought there might be some sense of feeling like an outsider, not part of the fraternity anymore.  But everyone was so welcoming and friendly. 

It was great to see so many friends.  People were supportive, not near as sarcastic as I would have been to someone who has left prosecution so many times and keeps finding himself returning, like some sort of bipolar swallow returning to Capistrano.  The CDAC staff reminded me of my time there, very fond memories for me.  I was happy to see so many prosecutors from across Colorado whom I have gotten to know over the years.  For some I was saying goodbye to them, and they will be missed.  For others it was a great opportunity to get reacquainted.  Some people told me it doesn’t seem like I have been gone for a whole year, but it is always shorter for those who stay put.  My time away has, in many ways, been an eternity to me, in large part because I have been so isolated from my friends. 

Hearing the case law update without having read a single one of the cases was a different and unsettling experience.  I have always had some familiarity with the cases, even in years when I did not give the update.  This time I am totally dependent on Dan Rubenstein to tell me the law.  Not that I don’t trust Dan, but I have a lot of catching up to do. 

I should be back in Colorado sometime in October.  

Comments:
We look forward to having you back home, Miles!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]